Sunday, August 14, 2011

When Last We Left Our Hero...


           He was in the process of being ordained a Deacon in the Presbyterian Church inAmerica, applying for Grad School, and preparing for an adoption.  All of this feels like it’s been a long, LONG time ago.  A bit too long, I think. 
                So, UPDATE TIME:
1)      The adoption process is coming along.  Our social worker came by today for our home study, and all that we need to do is get our SLED criminal background checks to her (SLED, for those not in the know, is the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division).  Jenn was able to retrieve her report online without a problem. Me—not so much.  I’m going to have to send off for the SLED check, and hopefully I’ll be able to get the results back this week.  
 
2)      The Diaconate is definitely a calling, and not one to be taken lightly.  Even though I have volunteered and participated in many service opportunities in my life, I will honestly say that none of them have truly prepared me for the office of Deacon.  I’m truly blessed, however, to be able to serve with some other wonderful men at my church, and it’s a blessing to be able to serve.  One of the challenges in serving in active church ministry is the possibility of burnout, and getting tired of serving.  I am still learning how to better take care of my spiritual life so that I can effectively serve, and also I’m learning when to stop and rest rather than to keep going until I hurt.   

3)      I start Grad School on August 22.  I’m taking two classes this Fall—Human Growth and Development and Applied Measurement and Technology.  As it stands, my plan is to take 2 classes a semester until internship/practicum time, and work full-time while I’m in school.  I’m excited, but a little bit nervous.  It’s been YEARS since I’ve been in a school/classroom setting, and I already have a lot on my plate.  I’m going to need to work hard at balancing my time in order to serve well with school, and to best take care of my family. 

     That said, the past several months have been interesting, and there are still some changes that I’m unable to discuss yet.  Hopefully now that I’m back in school and getting on a schedule, I’ll be able to do a better job of blogging and keeping everyone posted on what’s going on.  Until then, ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment