Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Rome wasn't built in a Day, so...

I've been putting off my study in the book of Romans for nearly a month. I read the book back in 2004/2005 while the LORD was working in my heart and healing me from a number of emotional issues and bad theology. I've had a desire to get back into it for some time now, but life has gotten in the way. However, thanks to our pastor's sermon series on Romans 12:1-2, I'm encouraged to make the time to really get started.

Along with life getting in the way, I think I had too many rules for my study (how many outside resources I was allowed to use, putting myself on a detailed, weekly schedule for each chapter, etc.), and I think that overwhelmed and discouraged me from getting started when I finally sat down to do it.

I've come to a realization: if John Piper and Bethlehem Baptist took nine (yes, NINE!) years to get through the book of Romans, I should really take my time and absorb the book and try to see and hear what it's saying to me now, and take steps to apply it to my life.

So, all the strict rules and guidelines I had before are G-O-N-E, gone. Here's my plan:

1). I'm going to read through the book at least once. I'm using my ESV Reformation Study Bible as my main reading Bible, and I'm looking at footnotes and the reference articles as needed, and only if the articles fit in with what Paul writing about at the moment (for example, how Romans 8:31-40 tie in with the articles on Perseverance of the Saints and Election).

I also have a pen with me so I can underline or circle specific verses in each chapter that I want to take a special look at when I go through it more in depth.

2). After I read through the entire book once, I'll then start studying Chapter by Chapter. I have 4 good commentaries I plan to use (Stott, Murray, Henry, and McGee), and also several Bible dictionaries and translations handy (thanks to theWord Bible software and good ol' Bible Gateway). I plan to use all of these on an as-needed basis.

3). I am going to do an outline of the book based on what I learn.

I originally had a long, specific timeline of when I wanted to be done with all of this, but then I realized that if I focus on time frames with this study, then I'll lose out on what's really important about the book of Romans.

I may even write a blog or two about it. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment